I've decided that I can no longer eat the berries that I find near the forest nor drink the coconut milk for my food. I need some kind of nourishment so I decided to try and catch fish. When I sit on the beach, I see the fish swimming to and fro, and with some practice I think that I could catch some to eat. I remember how mother used to cook the fish at home. She had her own recipe and you could always taste just a touch of lemon. I miss her so much, and I wonder if I will ever see her again. I don't know why I can remember my mother but not myself... but for some odd reason I do. I remember how she'd tell me stories of pirates and islands and whatnot. She had such an imagination. Getting back to my current situation, I decided to try to catch some fish so I made a spear-ish type thing out of a stick. I sharpened it using some nifty rocks I found. The same rocks I used to start a fire last night. Finally I am learning to survive in this unknown place. With my spear, I headed off to the water. As I went to step in the water, some forgotten fear caught hold of me and told me not to go in the water. Had it not been for my growling stomach, I would had listened to that fear. A school of fish were swimming around only a little ways ahead of me, so I got my spear ready and headed out to where they were. As their bodies reflected the sunlight, the most amazing colors formed in front of my eyes. My stomach brought my mind back to the task that lay ahead of me. With the spear raised above my head, I waited and waited until I thought that I could catch one. The spear came down with all it's might into the water, and as I pulled it up, there was no fish on the end. I could handle the first time, but after the fifth and still no fish, I was getting frustrated. I decided that I would try one more time and if it didn't work, I would just wait until tomorrow to try again. I lifted the spear above my head one last time and waited for a fish. When I saw the fish, I brought the spear down but not so hard this time. As I brought the spear up, I saw that there was a fish on the end! My joy cry could have been heard all the way to Antarctica..wherever that may be. I took my prize and went back to my camp to make a fire. Once the fire was going, I cleaned the fish and roasted it over the fire. Even without the lemon, it was one of the best things I've ever tasted. I have come to realize in my isolation that the things we think are important in life usually aren't as important as we fool ourselves into thinking. Take Care.

0 Remarks:

Post a Comment