Today I had to meet a man outside for a delivery of mobility aides for my mother since she just returned from the hospital. A van pulls up, the door opens, and there is a man inside. He introduces himself and we strike up a conversation. His van was extremely cool because it was completely equipped to fit his wheelchair and physical needs. In my opinion it was one of the coolest vehicles, equipment wise, I have ever seen. As I was trying to unload the mobility aides, for my mother, I was having a bit of trouble. Being on forearm crutches, it can be a little difficult to move things at times. So this man suggested I ask a lady walking down the street for help. It is not my custom to ask strangers for help, but I did this time. She was very nice and helped me move a few things. After the van was unloaded, the man and I talked a bit. He had been hit by a drunk driver and now he was bound to an electric wheelchair and forced to live with many obstacles facing him.

After a small chat, the man drove off and I was left there thinking. Going through all the trials that I have faced, I have learned to do anything I need by myself. I learned to either get it done by myself or not have it. This "either-or" attitude is something that helped me survive many hardships. As I stood there thinking, my mind kept going back to the man and how he had no problem asking for help. I learned a very valuable lesson today. That is that I shouldn't be ashamed to ask for help. It doesn't make you lesser or helpless to ask. It actually makes you stronger to put aside your pride and realise you need a little help sometimes. This realization has actually changed me and I hope that it will happen with everyone who feels they can be Superman all by themselves.

0 Remarks:

Post a Comment